Wednesday 24 June 2009

Three is the magic number (Average day)

Getting home I got a nice lunch. Usually it was a fruit salad (pineapple, orange and banana), plantain with beans or some sweet buiscuits with a mineral (i.e. coke, sprite or fanta). I always hoped it would be the first one, because it was the most refreshing in the middle of a hot day. The last one I always dreaded because it was neither filling nor refreshing and the mineral was usually slightly warm...
During the afternoon I didn't do much; just relaxing and reading; listening to BBC world on my solar powered radio/ listening to scrambling noise during cloudy intervals and when the shadow caught up with the radio... That kinda stuff
As mentioned before, I had two German compoundmates, which was great for me, not necesseraly to talk German, but to have akind of family. The Ghanians don't have the same sense for that as we Europeans do: Sitting down for dinner, talking about the day... Oh no, they would get there dinner whenever the go to the kitchen and then they just go and sit somewhere to eat (often alone).
On Wednesday's it was market day and we (volunteers from the village) would go and shop. The girls usually got some cloth or something else to work on during afternoons. Typical, ey?
I only once bought way more salt than I needed and a machete. Again: Typical, isn't it?
After dinner we or the girls from the other houses would often come over and chat. Not very different from home when I think about it...
Bedtime was fairly early, because there wasn't much to do I had to get up the next day.

No comments: