Saturday 24 January 2009

White men CAN jump

Contrary to common belief, white men can jump, at least when it comes to volleyball over here. Since next week is the big sports tournament with all the schools of Akroso participating - hopefully, because it was supposed to be this week - I am currently coaching the girls' and boys' volleyball team. Looking at the boys' team, I hope to get a kind of system into their game before the tournament. Looking at the girls, I have lost all hope...
Prior to the tournament every child had to be weighed, because there is a weight limit. Even though I lost 5kg, stepping onto the scale, I am still too heavy to participate (overlooking the fact that I have a teacher and not a pupil status).
I also had my first lesson, but at the moment I am more of a substitute teacher, teaching when one of the teachers decides not to show up. Nevertheless, considering the seize of the classes, which oscillate between 40 and 70 - depending on whether it's market day and other factors - and the fact that I do not use the cain like my fellow colleagues to punish students, I'm fine with a slow start:)
On Thursday the whole school marched through town to advertise for education/ their own school. (a picture will be added)

1 comment:

Gusto said...

Hay Simon it's Andrew from Testronics. Me and my mum are both reading your blog and are loving it!! Very interesting and informative. Keep it up!! When you next going back to Accra?? When you do I have a friend who you can contact that will take you around and show you are house out there.